Pages

Sunday 12 August 2012

First Look

I always think I'll have loads of time to do 'stuff' while on mat leave because babies just 'eat and sleep', right?  This is my 2nd child as well and for some reason I was still disillusioned.  Perhaps also as having a c-section this time around, I figured I'd have loads of time to be in front of a computer to post updates, Skype friends & family, etc.  Admittedly, I have had loads of opportunities (as I've spent atleast 2 weeks stuck on the couch feeding this babe) but I've lacked the focus (in retrospect, ok I should have anticipated that) which has just started to right itself recently.

So our official moving day was July 20th but we still had the other house so there was on-going bits & pieces getting moved over the next week.  I was seriously skeptical about settling in on that Friday as I still felt there was so much to be done but all fears were for nought.  We had all the necessities and things have just gotten put away or moved around in drips and drabs since.

We still need to do loads to settle in but it's early days really.  I have no idea how people can have everything in turn-key condition right from the get go.  So here we go, 'bienvenue chez nous'.


Well, it doesn't look so inviting yet but hey, the door's open, come on in!

The entry hall has a double height ceiling so it gets lots of light from the skylight.

Turn left and it takes you into the living areas of the house.
Remember, this is what it originally looked like:




And then after walls came down and loads of work under way ...
Walls plastered, painted, radiators in & floors poured ...


And NOW!!!
The funny square above the window is where the old electricity meter used to be.  It was only moved last week so a bit of fill and paint will touch that up fine.  There are shades to go on the chandeliers.  Decisions about blinds.  What sort of storage/shelving to get.  What to put over the stove.  The list is endless.  And I would love a new set of sofas that would suit the space better but everything's money now isn't it?!

The old main door was replaced with a single pane window.  It lets in loads of light and on a good day I can't help but stare out it and think what fabulous scenery surrounds us (minus the building site rubble of course!).


 You walk immediately into the kitchen from the entry hall and here's how it turned out:





I love it!!!!!!  Colin, at Abbey Kitchens did a fantastic job on the units.  The colour is a sort of khaki grey instead of a blue grey (which I initially thought I wanted).  And without even planning it, it goes perfectly with the feature stone.  So as you can see, I went with grey and decided on this pewter-kind-of bar type handle after the handle dilemma I 'faced' a few weeks back.  And while I still like cream kitchens (which we had in our other house),  after a few weeks of living here I can already see that the grey will hold up far better against the tornado that is our 19 month old toddler.  I'll try to do a separate post on the kitchen features I like best when I get the time to take a few more pics.

I'm still on a look out for light pendants above the sink & counter.  I'm undecided about what sort of backsplash should go behind the cooker (glass, tile, stone?).  Eventually, I'll decide about blinds too.  And of course there's the little bits that bring the kitchen together both for the pretty factor and functionality.

As for the living room, here's the best before & after extreme:



A shout out to the many people who gave us a hand, with moving, storage, cleaning, baby-sitting, etc ...  This just a small group of the gang taking a break with a fry up.  Thanks so much!


And Tommy, this one's for you!


So hopefully I'll start posting again more frequently, if not for you, then to keep the ball rolling on further projects and finishing touches!

3 comments:

  1. hi I love the blog as we are near the end of our 4 year self build & I love your kitchen it is of similar lay out as mine was wondering if you could tell me what size and model is your cooker & what did you get in the end splash back or tiles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline, Thanks so much for stopping by. I feel sad that I haven't kept up the blogging but its really just so hectic. I have no idea how other people keep up!
      Our cooker is a Rangemaster Toledo 110 XT. 110cm wide. Induction hob. I love it. Two years on and the top is still immaculate. I like the multi-function oven on one side and fan oven on the other but still getting used to time and temperature when baking.
      We went with a very plain glass (barely there colour) splash back solely over the stove top area. No tile or back splash anywhere else. It's simple but I like it.
      I chose fisherman pendants over the counters and have been debating on a burlap/natural kind of roman blind over the window but can't decide so hear we are 2 years on with no change yet.
      Good luck with your own build. Be happy it's taken you 4 years. I'm already so thankful I didn't make certain choices all at once.

      Delete
  2. thanks for quick reply I have ordered a rangemaster 110 & love your hood over cooker so I think will copy that idea also trying to decide on splash back or tiles think I will wait until I have installed cooker & we have moved in ! I also am also looking at kitchen cabinet handles who knew it would so hard?

    ReplyDelete